Unshrouded IEC Plug ?
Phil Allison
2007-01-25 03:08:45 UTC
** Hi all,

the Quad 306 " Instruction Book" ( ie owners manual, on page 4 ) warns
against the use of " unshrouded IEC connectors" for AC power.

There is an illustration given of an IEC, male plug with exposed pins.

Do they really exist ?

Got a link ?

...... Phil
Iain Churches
2007-01-25 06:12:57 UTC
Post by Phil Allison
** Hi all,
the Quad 306 " Instruction Book" ( ie owners manual, on page 4 ) warns
against the use of " unshrouded IEC connectors" for AC power.
There is an illustration given of an IEC, male plug with exposed pins.
Do they really exist ?
Probably not any more. Like the octal connector, and the old Bulgin
round chassis connector, they are no longer approved.
Post by Phil Allison
Got a link ?
I checked RS, and Farnell but could not find them.

Iain
Serge Auckland
2007-01-25 11:37:03 UTC
Post by Phil Allison
Got a link ?
I checked RS, and Farnell but could not find them.
Iain
I have several, which were sold in the '80s to go with QED distribution
strips. Some have a little tab which pushes the shroud in the socket out
of the way, some don't, just the three pins. I don't see the problem
with them, they seem no less safe than an ordinary plug. I now use them
only for the Christmas tree lights.

S.
Dave Plowman (News)
2007-01-25 15:33:57 UTC
Post by Serge Auckland
I have several, which were sold in the '80s to go with QED distribution
strips. Some have a little tab which pushes the shroud in the socket out
of the way, some don't, just the three pins. I don't see the problem
with them, they seem no less safe than an ordinary plug. I now use them
only for the Christmas tree lights.
Provided the pins are insulated half way or so such that you can't touch a
live one they should be ok.

Of course the Euro facility plug/socket (used as a switched mains out, etc
and similar to an IEC) was designed like this but wasn't very popular.
--
*I finally got my head together, now my body is falling apart.

Dave Plowman ***@davenoise.co.uk London SW
To e-mail, change noise into sound.
Iain Churches
2007-01-25 18:21:53 UTC
Post by Dave Plowman (News)
Post by Serge Auckland
I have several, which were sold in the '80s to go with QED distribution
strips. Some have a little tab which pushes the shroud in the socket out
of the way, some don't, just the three pins. I don't see the problem
with them, they seem no less safe than an ordinary plug. I now use them
only for the Christmas tree lights.
Provided the pins are insulated half way or so such that you can't touch a
live one they should be ok.
They weren't. You could. They weren't.
Hence no longer approved.

Iain
Serge Auckland
2007-01-26 11:44:01 UTC
Post by Iain Churches
Post by Dave Plowman (News)
Post by Serge Auckland
I have several, which were sold in the '80s to go with QED distribution
strips. Some have a little tab which pushes the shroud in the socket out
of the way, some don't, just the three pins. I don't see the problem
with them, they seem no less safe than an ordinary plug. I now use them
only for the Christmas tree lights.
Provided the pins are insulated half way or so such that you can't touch a
live one they should be ok.
They weren't. You could. They weren't.
Hence no longer approved.
Iain
But then there are plenty of standard 13 amp plugs which don't have
part-insulated pins. The European Schuko 2 pin + earth plug doesn't have
part-insulated pins, nor does the ubiquitous European 2 pin plug. If
these are approved, I don't see why the old QED etc. plug shouldn't be
either.

S.
Dave Plowman (News)
2007-01-26 13:43:44 UTC
Post by Serge Auckland
But then there are plenty of standard 13 amp plugs which don't have
part-insulated pins. The European Schuko 2 pin + earth plug doesn't have
part-insulated pins, nor does the ubiquitous European 2 pin plug. If
these are approved, I don't see why the old QED etc. plug shouldn't be
either.
Not that I care for them much, but the socket outlets on Schukos tend to
have a raised ring round them designed to prevent a finger touching a pin
when it is inserted enough to become live.
--
*To be intoxicated is to feel sophisticated, but not be able to say it.

Serge Auckland
2007-01-26 16:16:10 UTC
Post by Dave Plowman (News)
Post by Serge Auckland
But then there are plenty of standard 13 amp plugs which don't have
part-insulated pins. The European Schuko 2 pin + earth plug doesn't have
part-insulated pins, nor does the ubiquitous European 2 pin plug. If
these are approved, I don't see why the old QED etc. plug shouldn't be
either.
Not that I care for them much, but the socket outlets on Schukos tend to
have a raised ring round them designed to prevent a finger touching a pin
when it is inserted enough to become live.
True, but Schuko two pin + ground plugs also insert into standard two
pin sockets which normally *don't* have the raised ring. My house in
France has both sorts of sockets, downstairs they are all two+earth
sockets with raised bits, whilst upstairs they are all two pin no earth
and no raised bit. Out local DIY stores still stock both sorts of
socket, so I have to assume they are both approved.

S.
Barry Smith
2007-02-06 21:53:35 UTC
Post by Phil Allison
** Hi all,
the Quad 306 " Instruction Book" ( ie owners manual, on page 4 ) warns
against the use of " unshrouded IEC connectors" for AC power.
There is an illustration given of an IEC, male plug with exposed pins.
Do they really exist ?
Yes
Post by Phil Allison
Got a link ?
From my personal collection. Loading Image...

If you think the IECs (with partly sleeved pins) are bad, look at the
(Bulgin) plug on the left!

Barry
Iain Churches
2007-02-07 09:07:37 UTC
Post by Barry Smith
Post by Phil Allison
** Hi all,
the Quad 306 " Instruction Book" ( ie owners manual, on page 4 ) warns
against the use of " unshrouded IEC connectors" for AC power.
There is an illustration given of an IEC, male plug with exposed pins.
Do they really exist ?
Yes
Post by Phil Allison
Got a link ?
From my personal collection. http://www.g4iat.demon.co.uk/misc/iec.jpg
If you think the IECs (with partly sleeved pins) are bad, look at the
(Bulgin) plug on the left!
The Bulgin is still on sale, but definitely not approved for mains use.
It is specced for 70VDC only. The same applies to its
big brother which was once commonly used as a mains plug
on professional analogue tape recorders.
Iain
Dave Plowman (News)
2007-02-07 09:30:05 UTC
Post by Iain Churches
Post by Barry Smith
From my personal collection. http://www.g4iat.demon.co.uk/misc/iec.jpg
If you think the IECs (with partly sleeved pins) are bad, look at the
(Bulgin) plug on the left!
The Bulgin is still on sale, but definitely not approved for mains use.
It is specced for 70VDC only. The same applies to its
big brother which was once commonly used as a mains plug
on professional analogue tape recorders.
Commonly used as a mains input connector where the recessed pins of the
inlet would be much more difficult to touch accidentally. Nor do you need
to find a 'pro analogue tape recorder' to find them in use - many amps
that didn't have a captive mains lead had them too.

However it's no more dangerous than a light fitting - either bayonet or
ES - where it's still easy to touch a live connector when changing a lamp.
--
*The statement above is false

Barry Smith
2007-02-08 23:22:04 UTC
Post by Dave Plowman (News)
Post by Iain Churches
Post by Barry Smith
From my personal collection. http://www.g4iat.demon.co.uk/misc/iec.jpg
If you think the IECs (with partly sleeved pins) are bad, look at the
(Bulgin) plug on the left!
The Bulgin is still on sale, but definitely not approved for mains use.
It is specced for 70VDC only. The same applies to its
big brother which was once commonly used as a mains plug
on professional analogue tape recorders.
Commonly used as a mains input connector where the recessed pins of the
inlet would be much more difficult to touch accidentally. Nor do you need
to find a 'pro analogue tape recorder' to find them in use - many amps
that didn't have a captive mains lead had them too.
Agree with your comments, but are you referring to the cable socket?
The plug in my picture is the cable plug, which (I think) was used
to take power out.
Post by Dave Plowman (News)
However it's no more dangerous than a light fitting - either bayonet or
ES - where it's still easy to touch a live connector when changing a lamp.
Shh! Don't let the HSE hear that :-) I wonder how many people do manage
(accidentally or deliberately) to electrocute themselves with those.

Barry
Dave Plowman (News)
2007-02-09 00:10:27 UTC
Post by Barry Smith
Post by Dave Plowman (News)
However it's no more dangerous than a light fitting - either bayonet
or ES - where it's still easy to touch a live connector when changing
a lamp.
Shh! Don't let the HSE hear that :-) I wonder how many people do manage
(accidentally or deliberately) to electrocute themselves with those.
I wonder too - or get thrown off a step ladder. Strangely, it's not
recommended to protect a lighting circuit with a whole house RCD - the
danger of having no lights because of another fault is thought to be
greater. So mine are protected by combined RCD/MCB per circuit on a split
load CU.
--
*Am I ambivalent? Well, yes and no.

jasee
2007-02-08 21:45:53 UTC
Post by Barry Smith
Post by Phil Allison
** Hi all,
the Quad 306 " Instruction Book" ( ie owners manual, on page 4 )
warns against the use of " unshrouded IEC connectors" for AC power.
There is an illustration given of an IEC, male plug with exposed pins.
Do they really exist ?
Yes
Post by Phil Allison
Got a link ?
From my personal collection. http://www.g4iat.demon.co.uk/misc/iec.jpg
If you think the IECs (with partly sleeved pins) are bad, look at the
(Bulgin) plug on the left!
Yes, but this was designed to fit in a hole